Saturday, June 21, 2014

Life priorities... when it makes sense to earn and save less even if you can do more.

A while back I wrote about my own experience of how to earn money while following your heart. You can read it here.

So back in May I started working on a full time project, which was not in my passion zone but acceptable. I thought it would give me extra money to invest and achieve my goals faster. Well, first it turned out the project length was extended from 8 weeks to 16 weeks. I had to negotiate it to 13 weeks because I have another project right after this one.

I knew from the beginning that I didn't like this project much. It was not the kind of job I was passionate about. I did not feel like I fit in there. The drive turned out longer than I expected. I still had to visit with my regular clients. So my work weeks were close to 50 hours. I had to stop studying for my CPA test because I did not have much time left.  I spent less time with kids. I cooked less, so we would eat out more. I started feeling unhappy, stressed and tired. In June when school was over and I began thinking that I had to leave this project to stop neglecting my kids and my own life. But then I would think, "Oh I probably overreacting, money is good, I might be able to work another couple of weeks"...


We are planing but God deciding for us... Last week my usually super healthy and strong son came back from a week away camp and started having trouble breathing. It was scary. I had to take him to ER. We finished at the hospital for another two days because it turned out he had pneumonia. He is home and much better now. Will I come back to my project? Absolutely not. I think it was a sign from God that I have to remember most important things for me: health, kids, family, happiness... No money can buy this. I had chosen it before but then got caught in the non stop chase for money.

Last two days when we were back from the hospital, we could slow down and relax. We watched movies together. I cooked healthy food. We went for short walks. I was finally able to work in my little garden.
I start thinking about studying for CPA test again and finally finish decluttering and organizing the house. Now I am looking forward to enjoy more summer days with kids.

I know I will be busy with my audit project soon but this is a job I like to do. It makes me grow in my field. I plan for this job in advance. I enjoy working with my teammates. They appreciate me and even let me work from home some days when we are in town.

I still have my year around part time clients and I am blessed to have my other passive incomes inflows which helps me to live my life slowly but happily.

So I got my lesson again. I can't be a full time working mom. Even if my kids are teens. They still need me.
There are super women in this world, who can do it all. I guess I am not the one of them, but I have no regrets... :)




3 comments:

  1. A nice post, thanks for sharing. Despite the title, it seems to me that you're actually earning and saving more as a result of your decision, just consider time and happiness as a currency. You can always earn more money after spending it, but time is gone for good once spent.
    Best wishes on your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes I totally agree about time and happiness. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is an amazing new opportunity that is growing in popularity online.

    Big companies are paying people for giving their opinions!

    You can earn up to $75 per each survey!

    This is open to anybody from any country!

    ReplyDelete