Sunday, June 22, 2014

SNH - Senior Housing Properties - added to my watch list

I was reading my fellow investors blogs and noticed this stock on My Dividend Pipeline watch list.

SNH - Senior Housing Properties.

What I like/dislike about this stock

1. it's a REIT and gives a nice yield of 6.5%.

2. This company owns Senior Housing Properties all around the USA. It means to me that it has a potential or should I say some security of investing, because of many Baby Boomers getting older and requiring additional care. I scan through pictures on the website and facilities look nice. I like that they have properties all around the country, so if one region is not doing well, the other one can pick it up.

3. The stock is trading in the middle of 52 weeks range $24.25 ($20.70 - $27.42). But I would probably watch this stock for now, because I see it is trading above 1 year target. Personally I don't like when stock is trading above 1 year target. I don't feel like it is a bargain.

4. Here is an article on Seeking Alpha about SNH. Brad Thomas suggests not to buy this stock. Mostly because it looks like SNH depends more than 70% on one tenant - Five Star. I share his concerns on this one. He also noticed an interesting relationship of one insider (Portnoy Barry) in both companies SNH and FVE. I am not sure if it is good or bad. Well, overall article sounds very persuasive. I might look into other Senior Housing Properties as well, but I still will add this stock to my watch list.

What do you think about this stock? Please share your thoughts.

1 comment:

  1. One thing to keep in mind about REITs if you hold them in taxable accounts is that the dividends are not qualified. So depending on your marginal tax rate, you may lose some of the yield to taxes compared to qualified dividends from a stock which are taxed lower.

    I do agree with you that Senior Care should be a growth business considering the growing and aging population.

    ReplyDelete