Sunday, July 13, 2014

My weekly Stock watch list (7/11) and my stock activities

I did not post my list last week because I didn't see any updates.

This week I sold some of shares of WIN to realize my 36% profit. I bought WIN in the beginning of February 2014 in my IRA account.
I decided to follow this way because I have a very conservative mother, who doesn't believe in stock market at all. So I want to show her that stock market can work. Plus this way I can build my portfolio faster. I will sell my dividend stocks if I reach more than 35% earnings (dividends not included in this calculation) and stocks are trading close to 52 weeks highest at that moment. Then I will reinvest this money into a different dividend stock, which is selling close to 52 weeks lows. I already know some dividends stocks will never go to my "to be sold list".

After selling WIN I bought DRI@44.28. I know everybody does not like DRI right now. But even with all negativity around this stock, analyst 1 year target price is $50. Plus 4.6% dividends gives some safety cushion. Their profit declined but they pay dividends since 1995. The company got rid of Red Lobster and trying to revamp all existing restaurants. From my own observation: all DRI restaurants in our area are booming and we just got a new one - LongHorn Steakhouse. Teenager girls and lots of women love Olive Garden. My son and his dad already reported that steaks at LongHorn Steakhouse were amazing.

Here are some articles on DRI

Will Darden Restaurants' (DRI) New Plan To Revamp Olive Garden Help Its Stock? TheStreet rates DRI as a Hold, but most of the time they say this about any stock which

Is a Turnaround Finally Starting to Happen at Olive Garden? Motley Fool thinks turnaround is starting for DRI

Zacks' Bear Of The Day: Darden Zacks doesn't like DRI at all

I was going to buy CAG - Conagra foods but I missed their 52 lowest and Analyst estimates are equal to what stock is trading for. I still might buy some shares of CAG

My watching list for upcoming week

Stock Name, descriptionprice as 7/11Dividend Yield
CAGConAgra Foods inc$30.593.10%
ARIApollo Commercial Real Estate$16.509.50%
RCIIRent-a-Center inc$25.883.20%
ROSTRoss Stores$65.801.20%
DRIDarden Restaurant group$44.444.40%
* If I move stock to this list, it means there was a price drop or current price is somewhere in the middle.
I do not buy stocks at their highest prices. I might miss some good stocks but I prefer to sit and wait.
If I have a stock on my list, it means I like something about this stock. If I buy one of these stocks, it does not mean I plan to keep them forever. I might sell them if their price would go up a lot and I feel it's time to sell.

I love Sales on my regular shopping sprees and I use this strategy for my stock shopping... :)

Read my post about ARI  hereROST here.

I added RCII - Rent-A-Center inc. to my watching list. Their profits are down and they are trading close to their 52 low. It's a growing company. They "generally offer high quality 

durable products such as major consumer electronics, appliances, computers, and furniture and 

accessories under flexible rental purchase agreements that typically allow the customer to 

obtain ownership of the merchandise at the conclusion of an agreed-upon rental period. These 

rental purchase agreements are designed to appeal to a wide variety of customers by allowing 

them to obtain merchandise that they might otherwise be unable to obtain due to insufficient 

cash resources or a lack of access to credit."

Plus they offer their products for businesses as well to people on temporary assignments. They are expanding in Mexico, which is unprofitable right now.

For me it is a weird market, but considering lots of people's behavior as "want to have better things even if they can't afford it", this company lets them have what they want for a small monthly fee. I  see the future for this company and want to watch this stock. They started paying dividends in 2010.  P/E 12.61.

My complete Watch List of Dividends Stocks here. I update this watch list at least once a month.

Please share your thoughts and watch lists.

Thanks for stopping by!

3 comments:

  1. HHWG,

    You have an interesting stock picking strategy but it sounds like it is working. By the way, guys like Olive Garden too. Their breadsticks are addictive to both man and woman.

    Regards,
    Dear Dividend

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi HHWG,

    Interesting strategy there. Aren't you afraid of selling your winners?

    Looks like your portfolio consists of a nice mix of Aristocrats and other dividend yielding companies whos yield are substantial higher than most Aristocrats.

    I intend to do that as well, but for now I'm building my foundation and I feel like Aristocrats are most suitable for that.

    Thanks for your thoughts!
    DfS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Dividend for Starters! Thanks for stopping by. I decided to keep selling, so I can build my portfolio faster because if I sell winners, assuming they earned more than 35% and buy a good "loser", then in couple of month loser can pick up and become a winner.

      Delete